Battle of the budget primers- Beckie Rackham

Hi everyone, it's Beckie (society blog manager) here posting today!
I feel I may have gone a little primer mad recently, having purchased 3: oops... I've never been big into primers really, I always thought of them as being a waste of money, unlikely to do what they say they'll do etc etc, but being a big beauty blog reader can really sway you (along with bank card) into other perspectives. While a lot of beauty bloggers review expensive, higher end primers, my budget as a student isn't that high and forking out £30 on a primer seems like an unnecessary splurge, which is why I decided to try out 3 different types, all under £10. (Excuse the bad pictures, they were taken ages ago!)

Nivea Daily Essentials Express Hydration Primer- This is a cream based primer for dry/sensitive skin and cost £4.99. Overall, I was pretty disappointed with this primer. It has a lovely, slightly perfumed smell and the texture is smooth and creamy, rather than thick and hard to apply but they were the only positives I found for this product. Primer's main feature is that it should hold make up in place and make application smoother, but really this made it harder, as you have to wait until it is completely dry, which you may not have time for, and once I had used it and applied my make up, it didn't improve the longevity whatsoever and actually, the make up around the corners of my forehead began to come off almost immediately. The really is a glorified moisturiser and although, it felt smooth on my skin, as a make up enhancer/improver, I wouldn't recommend this product.

L'Oreal Paris Infallible mattifying base primer- This is a silicone gel based primer and cost £7.99. I literally LOVED this. I have to admit, it does feel a little weird to apply at first; its a really strange texture adding a gel to your face and you expect it to look greasy but it really doesn't. You only need a really small amount to cover your full face and if you follow the instructions of smoothing it outwards, that really helps with application. It makes your skin texture feel amazingly smooth and every time I've used this, my make up has lasted a full day; only need to re-powder my nose once (the oiliest part of my face). I'd definitely recommend this for full long days and for holding your make up on a night out, can imagine this to be good on holiday when your make up naturally wants to slide off your face haha.

Seventeen Skin Wow primer- This was a highlighting liquid primer and cost £5.99. This one is slightly different to the others as, as well as being a primer, it can also be used as a highlighter. You really don't need a lot of this when applying, especially as a highlighter. For me, when using it as a primer and applying to my full face, I found it a little too shiny and over the top (it did give a dewy, fresh look, but maybe a bit to the extreme), but as an illuminant for your cheekbones, centre forehead and down the centre of your nose, I really liked it. In the future -as my powder highlighter is about to run out- I will be using it for it's highlighting function, rather than as a full face primer.

Overall, L'Oreal's product was my favourite and this is what I will be using everyday from now on! Have any of you tried these primers before?
If you want to follow my own blog, here are the links you need:
Bloglovin:
Other sites:
Instagram: @beckieione
Twitter: @beckieione
x

1 comment: