Films and Wanderlust: take me to the set! - Olivia Clarke


I'm not particularly a film buff. I don't have an endless list of favourite directors, actresses
or actors. I find it difficult to watch a black and white film the whole way through even if it
stars Hollywood legends. But what I do like about films is the way in which they allow
you to escape the ordinary and take you to places you can only dream of, for the price of
Netflix (or for free, if you exploit your friend's account).

I've been everywhere through the films I've watched. The Darjeeling Limited took me
across India; I was transported to a balmy Thailand in The Beach. I pretty much went on
a whistle stop tour of the USA with Into the Wild. For as long as I can remember I've had
the burning desire to travel, to see the world, to experience different places and cultures.
Each time I see a film set in an exotic destination it goes on my wish list.

I'm not sure what exactly it is which lures me; I think that perhaps it’s just the sheer
beauty found in so many different places in the world. I'd love to see ornate temples in
India or explore the impressive Grand Canyon. There's so much I want to see that I can't
mention it all here - honestly I don't even think I know all the places I wish to visit.

I think what is closely linked with travel is its opposite; a sense of belonging. No matter
where I've gone I've always felt home pulling me back. Not in a negative way, just in the
sense that there's always a place to return to. Some people, like the main character in
Into the Wild, have the ability to leave home and never return; always in search of
something better. Others never leave their homes; perhaps limited by a lack of
resources or through personal choice. I wouldn't say I belong to either of these groups;
it's as if there's an elastic band tying me to my home. It can be stretched as far as I want
it to go; but can snap back when it needs to, when I need it to. I like it this way. To see
the world and explore all its different aspects is an excellent thing to do, but to be able to
return to a place of familiarity and belonging is no bad thing either. I think for the time
being I’ll stick with films for my escape, but hopefully I’ll tick some destinations off my
wish list soon.

Written by Olivia

0 comments:

Post a Comment